Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hunker Down for a Hurricane

As many of you know, we've been experiencing some extreme natural disasters in the metro DC area this week. It began last weekend with thunderstorms and flooding, a 5.8 earthquake on Tuesday (the previously recorded strongest quake in DC was 4.8 in 1875...), tornado warnings Thursday morning, and now hurricane Irene is headed our way!  Over the week, as meteorologists tried to project Irene's path, we heard anything from heavy rain to category 3 effects for our local weather.  Yesterday, the day before Irene was projected to hit, I had some last minute hurricane errands to run after work.  This was the outfit of the day:



Secret Treasure Dress, Anthropologie, Spring 2010
Belt: Anthropologie, Winter 2010
Shoes: Nine West circa 2008
Necklace: The Limited, circa 2008
With the weather conditions unknown, many people were scurrying to prepare. I didn't want to over-prepare but also didn't want to be caught wishing I was ready for the storm!  Yesterday, as Irene was still a level 3 hurricane, I took some precautionary measures.  When I woke up this morning, Irene was weakened to a level 1, which basically means we will be slammed with more rain and probably power outages than damaging winds.  Here are some of the precautions I took:
Brought in the chairs from the deck so they wouldn't blow away

Dinner is simmering in the crockpot so if the power goes, I will still have a warm dinner waiting

Bag packed in case of evacuation or, more likely, a sleepover with my friends on Maynard Drive

Tub filled with tubs of water in case clean water is scarce
All in all, it looks like we won't be terribly effected by the storm.  If we are though, I am ready!  Tonight I have tickets to see Uncle Vanya at the Kennedy Center so I am hopeful that the storm won't prevent me from getting to the show!  Although, my bag is packed for an overnight stay with friends if the weather is too messy for me to travel home afterwards.

What steps did you take to prepare for the damaging rains and winds this weekend?

1 comment:

  1. I dug out my sterno burners so I'm I'll ready to fry our bacon tomorrow if we lose power tonight. :) Uncle Vanya was fun. I'm glad the storms didn't keep our faithful metro from transporting us!

    ReplyDelete