Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It's Shark Week!

You may or may not know that sharks are my favorite animal.  Why? So many reasons- I'll just tell you a few. 
Sharks are one of the oldest animals on the planet, dating back to the time of the dinosaurs.  There is much we can learn about adaptation and our planet by studying shark behaviors. Sharks are mysterious. There are many different types of sharks who have rarely been spotted.  A variety of sharks are about to become extinct due to over-fishing (primarily instigated by the public's fear of sharks).  Sharks are rarely dangerous and extremely misunderstood.  They do not feed off humans and rarely bite even if humans are in their territory.

This week is Shark Week on the Discovery Channel.  If you haven't checked it out, you should!

Sometimes I like to dress my niece up like a shark- fondly known as shark baby.



At the beach this summer, my sister and I both ordered shark drinks.  Mine came in a Jaws glass, and my sister's came with a shark shot.


Last year, in honor of shark week, I made these shark-inspired cupcakes.

Rob Stewart is one of my favorite activist supporting the protection of sharks.  His documentary, Sharkwater, is intriguing and inspiring.  Definitely worth watching!
Happy Shark Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment