Thursday, September 15, 2011

It's Complicated

A friend of mine recently graduated with her MBA and her husband threw a graduation party for her at their home.  The day of the party, I double checked the Evite to check the time and I noticed the dress code was listed as "cocktail casual." Umm... what?  In my head, cocktail= fancy and casual= well, casual (jeans and a nice top or maybe a cotton sundress?).  I called a few friends to ask for their opinion and many of them were unsure of how to dress for the occasion. I was a bit stumped as I dug through my closet. The party began at 6 and was going to be outside so I decided to wear the mompos dress with pearls as it can be a little bit fancy but also a little bit every day- certainly appropriate for an outdoor garden party.

I didn't realize when I snapped these photos that the sun was in my eyes on my deck.  I didn't feel like I was squinting, but when I downloaded these images, I see that I am squinting into the sun in everyone!  Ugh.  Please ignored my pained facial expression while you view the ensemble.






Dress: Anthropologie's Mompos Dress, Spring/Summer 2011
Shoes: Aldo
Necklace: pearls from somewhere!
Hair clip: J. Crew outlet, summer 2011
 What's your take on "cocktail Casual" attire?

3 comments:

  1. Your last picture is totally reminiscent of Maria Von Trapp, getting off the bus from the abbey with her guitar case and the far-off gaze. Climb every mountain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's EXACTLY the look I was going for! (Not really, but your comment made me giggle)

    ReplyDelete